3 Month Old Kitten hasn't pooped for 5 days. Very Lethargic and sick.

hm12

Jan 24, 2024
I picked up a 3 month old kitten from a local rescue. When I first got him 5 days ago he was very lethargic and tired and incredibly skinny, you can feel his spine and hips.
He did not eat but drank ALOT of water. I assumed it must've been stress so I left him alone. The next day he began sneezing and so I took him to the vet. The vet told me his weight was okay but that he needed to eat more and gave him an antibiotic shot and a pill for his fever.
Since then (it's been 3 days), I have been syringe feeding him a mixture of water and wet food. He has inflamed eyes, and clogged nose. And still refuses to move from his little shelter I built for him.
He is very tired and lethargic all the time. Refuses to eat anything but still drinks a lot of water and pees about 2-3 times a day. And has yet to poop! This has me very concerned. I am not sure what to do. Any advice would be appreciated, thank you! His stomach does not seem constipated he is still supper skinny.

SirMeow

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 25, 2021
Doesn't sound like the shelter should have released him as he was clearly sick.

This is serious, you must take him back to the vet immediately.

Please let us know how you get on and welcome to Feline Forums. :)

hm12

Jan 24, 2024
I am trying to get him rescheduled to get back to the vet asap. The Shelter did not inform me about his condition at all. I am trying my best to help the poor kitty recover.

I'm not sure if I should keep syringe feeding him if he is constipated. Or if I should hold off until we get him to the vet.

Last edited:

SirMeow

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 25, 2021
I'm sorry, I don't know how to look after sick cats. Perhaps just show up there and explain it's an emergency? Or ring first, maybe. I suspect we're looking at kidney failure or something given how he's drinking. Time is of the essence here. He could die.

hm12

Jan 24, 2024
Poor guy, i sure hope not. I spoke to my vet and he told me at his age any kidney failure would be extremely unlikely. But thank you for the advice. I'll take him to the urgent vet.

SirMeow

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 25, 2021
@KittyJ @FF do you have any advice to add for this urgent situation?

btw hm12, I appreciate all the help and TLC that you're giving this little guy, plus a furrever home. :cool:

hm12

Jan 24, 2024
thank you for the advice! I am hoping that it is not kidney disease, my vet tells me it's not a concern given his age but i am scheduling another visit anyways. I'll try the pumpkin and hopefully he will pass a stool soon.

SirMeow

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 25, 2021
I've had bad constipation and know how sick that can make me, so imagine the effect on a little feline baby?

hm12

Jan 24, 2024
you were on the money! The food/water helped him pass his first stool! And it's almost as if a switch was fliiped once he did even though they were small pebbles he was instantly relieved. He is now finally moving around and his energy/appetite levels are rising rather dramatically!! He won't eat from a bowl but now meows at me to syringe feed him! He's also cleaning himself and actually exploring. Even though he's not at full speed and still doesn't have the energy to play, he's made so much progress and I am extremely delighted. He will still go to the vet to get testing done but Thank you guys so so very much for your help and communication!

Last edited:

SirMeow

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 25, 2021
Hey, fabulous! :cool::cool::cool::cool: Looks like perhaps it was just bad constipation then. And defo still take him to the vet. It's important to try and figure out what caused it, if nothing else.

Could you please give us the name or web address for that shelter to allow us to look it over? I wonder why they offloaded such a sick cat on you.

hm12

Jan 24, 2024
They are a no kill humanitary rescue. I'd rather not put them on the spotlight as I understand they are overcrowded. Even though they gave me a sick and underweight kitten, I do not expect them to be able to provide the love and care needed for the condition he is in. I've taken a week off work to take care of him and am just happy he is improving each day! Although he is SUPER attached to me and won't sleep if im not near him. And will only eat or drink now by syringe. That's a problem for another day tho i guess.

SirMeow

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 25, 2021
he is SUPER attached to me and won't sleep if im not near him.
That's the biggie right there! Clearly lots of TLC coming his way or he wouldn't do that. You're gonna have a terrific lifetime bond, you should be proud! That week off is an excellent investment in his future and we'd love to see a picture or two of him when you feel it's appropriate.

Did the shelter advise you that he wasn't well, at least? Given that they struggle to look after the cats, they did the right thing by letting you have him.

I get you wouldn't want to shine a negative spotlight on the shelter, but I'm still curious to know who they are and to just look at their website basically. So, only if you're ok with it, please start a PM with myself, @KittyJ and @FF (the forum owner) as I'm sure they'd love to know, too. Your information will of course be treated confidentially.

Note that since I live in England, I won't be able to visit them unfortunately, but KittyJ and FF might be able to one day, perhaps.

hm12

Jan 24, 2024
Thank you, I'll think about it and PM you if I feel it is appropriate. The shelter did not advise me of anything but in their defense they only had the kitten for like 4-5 days. I also didn't know he was a stray since his ear is clipped and why he was at the shelter if so. I will send some updates and pictures here soon. I can't thank you all enough. Honestly, thank you all for spending time out of your days to help people and pets around the world.

He's had a much better smoother bowel movement today, and I'm told the main culprit of his "constipation" was him being almost starved. Syringe feeding him every 2 hours a mixture of water/wet food help get his bowel movement moving again.

He won't eat from a plate right now unfortunately, nor will he drink from his fountain anymore. As he prefers to meow at me to syringe feed him. He will still lick his delectables tho! :D

My apologies for not sending pictures, I will pay the tax here soon. Thank you

SirMeow

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 25, 2021
Yeah, starvation of even short duration is quite damaging to cats of any age, more so than other species, apparently. Great to see a stray get a furrever home and on the mend, with yourself. It probably won't be too long till he starts eating more normally, guessing a week or so, maybe.

He won't eat from a plate right now unfortunately, nor will he drink from his fountain anymore. As he prefers to meow at me to syringe feed him.

I see he's got you well trained. ;) It's always best that, as mere humans, we know our place as their servants. ❤️

I can't thank you all enough. Honestly, thank you all for spending time out of your days to help people and pets around the world.

You're very welcome, glad we could make a difference. :)