3 sick cats

Blackcatsbest

Nov 11, 2023
Hi,

I have 3 indoor cats. One started not eating Sunday morning. This cat was bought much later than the other two, from a shelter. After two days, we decided to take him to the vet. They tested his blood, urine, and he also had an x-ray. Everything turned out perfectly normal. Tuesday, we had to force feed him. The vet prescribed medication against possible nausea, and an appetite stimulant. He started getting better on Wednesday. He is now eating normally again. I was convinced he had a virus, but the vet did not agree because his only symptom was complete loss of appetite... Nothing in the mouth either. Then, bingo, a second cat got sick on Wednesday with the exact same symptoms. She refused to eat, especially dry food. It's so weird because she looks hungry but she starts eating and it just won't go in! No vomiting, no diarrhea, no runny nose or eyes, no coughing, no sneezing, no mouth ulcers, no freaking anything! She started not eating on Wednesday, but now she is eating more, but it has to be canned tuna (ours). She won't eat dry food nor cat canned food. Then, on Thursday morning, my third cat stopped eating completely. Same thing, no other symptoms. A little lethargic, but not that bad. All cats had to be forced fed. The third cat seems to be the worst one. Will not eat, even canned salmon! I'm completely flabbergasted! I'm going crazy! I thought of coryza, but they have no symptoms other than complete loss of appetite! It clearly is a virus, but what the hell is it! I even thought of COVID-19, but it's very far-fetched and unlikely. I'm at a complete loss. Any ideas?

Thank you

KittyJ

Staff member
Apr 27, 2021
Could very well be a virus of some sort. You could get a second opinion.

Have you noticed any behavioral issues in any of your cats?

Blackcatsbest

Nov 11, 2023
Hi and thank you for your reply.

I intend on calling another vet tomorrow morning. My third cat has now been forced fed for 3 days and is not getting better. We already saw two vets, but that was before the other cats were affected. And no, they have no new behavioral issues.

SirMeow

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 25, 2021
Wow that’s quite some sicky your cats have got there. I’m glad they’re in good hands with you.

I agree, it sounds very much like a virus and a second opinion should very much be sought. They don’t get sick for no reason.

A bit of frantic Googling “cat won’t eat”, revealed this website which might help:

And finally, welcome to Feline Forums. :)

Blackcatsbest

Nov 11, 2023
Wow that’s quite some sicky your cats have got there. I’m glad they’re in good hands with you.

I agree, it sounds very much like a virus and a second opinion should very much be sought. They don’t get sick for no reason.

A bit of frantic Googling “cat won’t eat”, revealed this website which might help:

And finally, welcome to Feline Forums. :)
The new cat may have been the vector. Could've had some dormant virus. Or, he may have been contaminated at his previous visit to the vet the week before. It's the only place he went!

Blackcatsbest

Nov 11, 2023
Good news! My remaining sick cat has slowly started eating by himself this evening. But it's funny. They all have started eating the same way, by having trouble breaking and crushing their kibbles. It's like they had sore teeth or gums. Very weird! What kind of virus would affect teeth? But then again, they also had trouble eating wet food... It most probably is a gastrointestinal virus.

Last edited:

KittyJ

Staff member
Apr 27, 2021
Good to hear!

Hmm, it's normal for cats to have a hard time chewing dry food (a cat's fangs were designed to pull apart meat, not chew kibble.) Have you noticed them having trouble before? If not, it does sound like a dental issue.

Blackcatsbest

Nov 11, 2023
Good to hear!

Hmm, it's normal for cats to have a hard time chewing dry food (a cat's fangs were designed to pull apart meat, not chew kibble.) Have you noticed them having trouble before? If not, it does sound like a dental issue.
3 cats with the same issue? Doesn't make sense.

Blackcatsbest

Nov 11, 2023
I'm so glad they're better, thanks for letting us know.
The question is what did they catch? Could it be typhus? I know most cats are vaccinated, but does it protect 100%, or you can still have mild symptoms? This bug is extremely contagious and can survive on surfaces for a long time. You can even bring it back home with your shoes and infect your indoor cats!