Behavior change, not sleeping and hungry all the time.

Vrtanderson

Apr 2, 2024
A year ago, my cat was 17lbs and had a diet change per the vets' calculations. His goal wight is 13ibs but we accidently let him get down to 11lbs and didn't switch his diet to maintenance levels at the appropriate time. For a couple of months, he suddenly started meowing for food a lot, and he had never been vocal about this before. He is now eating enough to gain the two pounds and then will be on a maintenance diet. However, he sits by his food dish from 10am to 4:30pm when he gets dinner. After dinner he relaxes and sleeps, but during the day while he is waiting by his food dish in a loaf position (not relaxed) he doesn't sleep at all. I try to distract him and play extra but he always reverts back to his food dish. He receives food via a timed feeder plus 1/2 a can of wet food at night. He is still active and playful; his bowel movements are normal, and he is urinating regularly. Overall, he seems like a healthy cat except for this sudden constant hunger and anxiety. I'm concerned he is having anxiety around food after feeling too hungry for a couple of months. Has anyone experienced similar to this with their cat? Any ideas of why this is happening or if you have any advice for this behavior would be appreciated! I do plan to take him to the vet within the next two months as he is due for his annual checkup.

KittyJ

Staff member
Apr 27, 2021
I suggest taking him to the vet earlier rather than later.

If he's eating enough calories to hopefully gain weight, then I don't see why he's so hungry all of the time. Did your vet tell you how much he needs to be eating?

Maybe you could try feeding him smaller amounts of food, just more often?

SirMeow

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 25, 2021
I suggest taking him to the vet earlier rather than later.
I'll second this. Please take him asap.

Since your cat was so overweight before, he might have been diabetic and the weight loss may not have completely reversed it. This would lead to hypoglycemic attacks (low blood sugar levels) and strong cravings over long periods without food, which would be torture for him. A hypoglycemic attack feels like an extremely unpleasant high, getting worse the more one is forced to go without food. In extreme cases it can cause one to pass out and perhaps die, so do not ignore this possibility.

Until you take him to the vet and get a handle on this, I suggest a little and often diet to reduce any such effects.

Vrtanderson

Apr 2, 2024
He'll be at the vet within the month, but until then I just wanted some advice. Thanks! The vet had put him on this diet to begin with but did not tell me when to stop or change it. I also emailed with his vet yesterday, and they told me to increase his food an extra 15% until his next visit, today was the first day of increased food so I'm curious to see how it effects his behavior. Nervous for diabetes now or thyroid issues but hoping it's just a fluke of his diet. I have been feeding him extra snacks throughout the day just of his regular dry food to help him out with the possible extra hunger cravings!

SirMeow

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 25, 2021
Ok, that's good it's the vet's diet as he set it knowing the cat's health issues. Looks like a 15% increase in kitty food and treats will make kitty happy!

Let us know how you get on. :)