- Dec 12, 2022
What advices do you have when it comes to a cat with diabetes? What is the most important thing to pay attention to and watch out for???
great piece of information...Tips for Treatment (SOURCE - https://www.vet.cornell.edu/departm...ormation/feline-health-topics/feline-diabetes)
- You can do it! Treating your cat may sound difficult, but for most owners it soon becomes routine.
- Work very closely with your veterinarian to get the best results for your cat.
- Once your cat has been diagnosed, it's best to start insulin therapy as soon as possible.
- Home glucose monitoring can be very helpful.
- Tracking your cat's water intake, activity level, appetite, and weight can be beneficial.
- A low carbohydrate diet helps diabetic cats maintain proper glucose levels.
- With careful treatment, your cat's diabetes may well go into remission.
- If your cat shows signs of hypoglycemia (lethargy, weakness, tremors, seizures, vomiting) apply honey, a glucose solution, or dextrose gel to the gums and immediately contact a veterinarian.