My adult cat pees on everything after being given a lot of affection

Mallory1

Sep 27, 2023
Maybe someone knows but my adult cat who I have had for 2+ years and has been spayed will pee on my bed, clothes, her own bed, the floor, the dogs bed pretty much anything soft and she only does it after she’s been given “more” attention my husband and I have two adult cats, a disabled kitten, and I have two service dogs everybody gets along and I’m a stay at home wife so I’m constantly giving all of the animals love and affection. So I don’t really think she’s “jealous” she has her own spot that she prefers and that’s okay. But she starts peeing on stuff after she’s been given “more” affection. And she doesn’t immediately go and pee on things in front of me after given affection.. she waits until the middle of the night usually. I know it’s not a litter box issue bc we started with covered boxes and she didn’t like that so I took the lids off and she has no issues and I also have 4 litter boxes that get cleaned daily. And I know she doesn’t have issues with the litter I buy or the box because she uses the litter box through out the day it’s just after she’s been given (a lot) of affection for example She lost her bed privileges a while back bc of her peeing on it so I recently let her back up on the bed (this week) but I woke up to her cat bed completely soaked she also peed on a shirt of my husbands and on the carpet. Right next to cat bed and his shirt. I’ve tried UTI drops bc I read that could why she’s peeing outside the box but it’s not an always thing it’s only after given a lot of affection and she does it more after my husband has loved on her cuddled her pet her etc. and she’s in good health as well so I truly don’t know what to do. Oh and The other cats usually leave her alone as she’s not a big player. Has anyone else dealt with something like this? Everything I google is for like consistent peeing outside the box. Help please 😭

SirMeow

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 25, 2021
That sounds awful.

You should take her to the vet as there could be an underlying physical problem. They can help with mental problems, too.

Welcome to Feline Forums. :)

SirMeow

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 25, 2021
Also, look up behaviourist Jackson Galaxy who has his own YouTube channel, website and TV series. He's an expert in dealing with issues like this.

SirMeow

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 25, 2021
I'm wondering, when you say she gets a lot of affection, is it to the point where she starts trying to get away from the attention giver? If so, it means she's getting stressed out by it so it could be a symptom of that.

Cats generally don't like too much attention and they can switch off in an instant. Pushing it further than that just makes them anxious, frustrated and perhaps even angry to the point they swipe at you. Also, cats vary a lot in how much attention they like, so the less they like it, the worse the extra attention will be for them.

Please let us know.

stephcrocker

Feb 8, 2024
We're working with the same issue. We had a feral kitten arrive on our porch about 5 years ago. She acclimated with our current two cats and in general uses the litter box. In the past, we have seen that she was peeing in the shower and sometimes pooping so we upped our litter box game and tried out a few different litters until things settled down.

Fast forward to now. We added one cat, lost one due to illness, then added a kitten. WIth the latest kitten addition we've seen an increase in inappropriate peeing. We've tossed two couches, two chairs, a rug and ottoman, plus my yoga mat.

To resolve this issue, so far we've been to the vet, treated her for UTI, given her pain meds, tried homeopathic drops, then Urinary Gold and the issue persists. Out of the four she is the only one that goes outdoors. Thinking she might be considered an outlier, we decided to keep her in only to see no change in her inappropriate behavior. It's extremely frustrating because I believe we are being very systematic in our approach and yet still live in fear of everything in our house being destroyed.

My question is the vet recommended Gabapentin and this is our next step. Has anybody had success with this approach to resolve inappropriate peeing?

KittyJ

Staff member
Apr 27, 2021
@stephcrocker,

Has your vet not given a diagnosis? Does she appear to be in pain? If so, there's clearly an issue that needs to be addressed. If not, then I don't why she needs pain meds or Gabapentin.

If the kitten spends a lot of time outside, it's possible she doesn't understand that she can't eliminate wherever she wants to when she's inside.

Also, how many litterboxes do you have? You might need more.

stephcrocker

Feb 8, 2024
the vet diagnosed her with a possible UTI (except they had waited all day for her to pee and then dropped the sample). Nonetheless, we have treated her with antibiotics and pain meds as well. The next step the vet recommends is Gabapentin. I'm not thrilled about this which is why we've been experimenting with other homeopathic solutions.

I agree that her outdoor time may confuse things for her indoors. We tried about of month of restricting her to indoors and the problem continued. It's possible she may have needed longer; however, after the recent incident, my husband decided to let her out again.

She does suffer from serious herpes complications, but as of yet, the vet does not have an answer for that. We have recently noticed our male cat has been aggressive towards her which I am sure is adding to her stress. The vet is under the impression she is under stress and that is the reason behind her inappropriate behavior. (inappropriate to us, not her.)

We have 4 litter boxes that I clean daily and use a non-scented walnut litter. (another cat has respiratory sensitivity). Each litter box is a different style giving them tons of options and flexibility. We did try another non allergenic litter and that did not move the dial.

We understand that it will be a significant uphill battle. I noticed yesterday when cleaning the pee under my foam fatigue mat that the entire wall in my office was drizzled with pee. Our only hope that repeated cleanings with vinegar and and enzymatic cleaner will eventually remove the scent, but this may mean I will no longer be able to have a rug in that room.

When you love an animal that disrupts your space it is extremely frustrating because surrendering her is of course not an option. We hope she can get it together so we can all live harmoniously soon. Thanks so much for your feedback!

KittyJ

Staff member
Apr 27, 2021
I'm surprised the antibiotics haven't helped.

Could you try separating the kitten from the aggressive male? I'm sure some peace would help.

You can always get a second opinion about administering Gabapentin.