My cat is attacked when she goes outside

deserthawke

Jan 29, 2024
Hello - I'm new to this forum. I have a problem. My cat Missy (11 years old) has always been an indoor/outdoor cat. I live in a low traffic area and have a 'cat' door so she can come and go. The last several months another cat has been around and attacks Missy in her own yard. The first time I had to take Missy to the vet as she was injured. The cat has attacked her 4 times, all in Missy's own yard. The third time the cat came into the house to eat Missy's food and attacked her. I have tried to keep Missy in the house but she gets very upset and anxious if she can't go outside. Does anyone have any ideas what to do about the attacking cat? I don't know if it's a stray or has a home. I would appreciate any suggestions. Thank you!

SirMeow

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 25, 2021
That sounds awful, especially as she's getting injured and at 11 years old, fights are really bad for her since she's getting into her senior years now.

I get you've tried to keep her indoors and it's difficult because she gets stressed over it, but I can only suggest that you persevere with it, as the alternative can be so much worse. Here's a post I made about it and please note the meme I've included, listing the many real dangers that going outside exposes her to.

I think given time and suitable stimulation and perhaps a catio if that's possible that she'll accustom to being an indoor cat, since feline horizons eventually shrink to make the house their territory.

I also suggest looking at Jackson Galaxy's website and YouTube channel for help with behavioural issues. You can even have a consultation with him for help for a fee. If you've not heard of him, he loves cats, is a real expert in this area and even has a TV program dedicated to dealing with difficult cats.

deserthawke

Jan 29, 2024
That sounds awful, especially as she's getting injured and at 11 years old, fights are really bad for her since she's getting into her senior years now.

I get you've tried to keep her indoors and it's difficult because she gets stressed over it, but I can only suggest that you persevere with it, as the alternative can be so much worse. Here's a post I made about it and please note the meme I've included, listing the many real dangers that going outside exposes her to.

I think given time and suitable stimulation and perhaps a catio if that's possible that she'll accustom to being an indoor cat, since feline horizons eventually shrink to make the house their territory.

I also suggest looking at Jackson Galaxy's website and YouTube channel for help with behavioural issues. You can even have a consultation with him for help for a fee. If you've not heard of him, he loves cats, is a real expert in this area and even has a TV program dedicated to dealing with difficult cats.

Thanks for the reply! And Jacksongalaxy is awesome! Lots of information I didn't know I needed. Appreciate it.

Luna Bella

Apr 23, 2023
I'm sorry to hear your sweet Missy is getting injured by another cat in your neighborhood. I hope SirMeow's tips are helpful and you find a great solution to keep Missy safe but also to enjoy outside. I have the opposite issue as my neighborhood is in the country, so I have to really watch for flying predators and other animals that can roam and cause harm to my pets. Take care and wishing you the best with Missy's safety!

deserthawke

Jan 29, 2024
Thank you! I'm trying to get her used to staying inside but she's not happy with it. I'm going to look into getting a window catio - don't know how they work but I'll be researching them. You have such a cute kitty!