Young cat barely lives after encounter with posionous lilies


Staff member
Nov 25, 2021
Cat barely made it, but the story ends well as she's now fit and healthy. It was a very close shave, though. Lilies are so poisonous to cats, that just a small particle from any part of the plant on their whiskers can kill them. Awful stuff.

I put this story here to help alert people to the dangers of letting their cats out and to avoid it wherever possible. Here's my thread about this:

A poisoned cat lay clinically dead for 26 minutes after coming into contact with a popular house flower. Bella, 11 months, collapsed at home suddenly before her frantic owner rushed her to the vets.

While the moggie was being treated for suspected lily poisoning, Bella suffered a heart attack. Vets at Willows Veterinary Centre and Referral Service in Solihull, West Midlands, were forced to perform CPR on the stricken pet.

After 26 minutes, Bella’s heart started beating and she was moved into intensive care. Heartbreaking footage shows her lying on her side and hooked up to tubes and a heart monitor.



Staff member
Apr 27, 2021


Staff member
Mar 19, 2021
My cat nibbled on a Lilly stem once. Even though she didn't have any symptoms, it's always good to take them to the animal hospital anyway to alleviate any fears.